PAID TO WANDER


Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Wandering in Taos or Your Bloomers are Showing














The month of May springs wild in these parts (pun intended). This year I noticed a cherry bush in my yard starting to bloom and knew that in Taos and the lower Rio Grande valley that things would really be popping. Although we are at a similar elevation as Taos here in Alamosa, we are usually at least a week behind the Spring warm up.
So I packed up my painting gear and headed south. My first stop is a favorite spot near Arroyo Hondo along one of the acequias (irrigation ditchs). I was not disappointed.

I was fortunate to get acquainted with the local property owner who invited me to paint anywhere along her fruit-tree-lined acequia.
Nothing like passing the afternoon inhaling the sweet perfume of the blossoming trees and shrubs.

During the next couple of days I wandered extensively, seaching-out, finding and painting the bloomers in northern New Mexico. One spectacular tree was right along the highway in the middle of Taos. Another find was a tip from painter and friend Peggy Immel of Taos. She led us to a century-old apple orchard with great views of Taos Mountain and El Salto.

After a break, I returned to Taos to participate in the annual Paint Out event with the Plein Air Artists of Colorado (PAAC) where a couple dozen painters buzzed around the Taos area for several days. The group arranged to paint up the Taos Canyon on the property of legendary painter Kevin MacPherson. One of his prime views is the small lake below him. He was able to put together a remarkable epic undertaking by painting the lake everyday for a year, commemorating this process in a fascinating book.

A group of us tried our hand at painting this landmark including my usual cohorts Sue McCullough and Coni Grant.

After this kind of accumulation of plein air work comes the process home in the studio of touch up, fine tune, leave it alone or gesso-over time.

I am pleased to report that I have at least two survivors that made it and are now in my current show up at the Walden Gallery in Taos. I am featured along with Marie Massey into June. A reception is imminent on Saturday, May 28 from 5 to 7 pm.

So if you are in the area, please stop in. The show will be up until the end of June.










The images:

Top: "Along the King's Road" 9x12 oil

2nd: "Acequia Footbridge" 9x12 oil


3rd: PAAC Ladies Painting at MacPherson's Pond


Bottom: "Bloomtime" 16x20 oil

1 comment:

  1. Nice blog, David! I added you to the links page under Artist Friends. I hope you don't mind :)

    ReplyDelete